Tuesday 9 November 2010

10 Brilliant Business Books I've Read This Year

I've always been an avid reader of business books and this year I've discovered quite a few gems which I thought I'd share with you.

Brad Sugars suggests that we should all be learning each and every day. I went to see Brad give a talk in the UK recently and he said "the more you learn; the more you earn." He also stated towards the end of his talk that "if we can out learn him, that will be the day we can out earn him!" There will be a few of Brad Sugars business books on my reading list for next year!

One of the best ways to learn business related advice and guidance and ideas is from buisness books written by business people who have been there, seen it, and done it!

In no particular order, listed below are ten of my favourite ones which I've read this year. I'm not doing a full review of each one but I've included a few words to summarise my thoughts.

I absolutely LOVE this book. Gary Vee explains how every single employee who is not happy should just leave and get on with following their passion in life. He says that if we follow our passion and build a business based on our passion then we can quite quickly monetise it.

Read Crush It and cash in on your passion.


This book is awesome and very special to me. I went to Like Minds in Exeter in Feb 2010 and met Chris Brogan and he signed my copy of Trust Agents! He really is a very special guy and the stuff he and Julien have written in Trust Agents is brillaint and they show you how to use your influenece in the digital world in a way that remains honest, effective and profitable.

Simon Bunker has written a god review on his website http://bloggingbookworm.com/review-trust-agents/ and you'll see my comment where you can see a photo of Chris signing my book at Like Minds!
This is the book I'm actually still reading right now. It is excellent. China without doubt are going to be a massive world leader and some of the business opportunities suggested in this book are absolutlely ready to jump on board right now.

The mobile phone market is going to be huge and the Internet is already helping China to be the world's largest online users with over 200 million online. Yet, this only equates to 17% penetration! Unreal!

This is one of my favourite book of 2010 because I love and totally buy in to the Go Giver concept. There are too many people in business who are all about Me, Me Me and take, take, take.
It's the most amazing story of how the main character, Joe learns the 5 Laws of Stratospheric Success. The Go Giver was an absolutely serendipitous read for me as it reinforced so many of my own beliefs. Read my review here.
And how cool that Bob Burg took the time out to comment too! He and I are now connected via Twitter which just blows me away!
I have to just state here that I am a massive fan of Michael Gerber. He is truly a genius, a brilliant story teller and a mesmerising speaker. This book is all about Michael's Dreaming Room. A fantastic concept of going into the dreaming room to find your inner entrpreneur and to create the perfect business that fills your passion and a gap in the market.
Michael writes in such an easy to read style; it really flows and I couldn't put it down.

This book was written in the late 1920s and is just as relevant today and seems quite timely with us coming out of our recent major recession. It was written at the end of the great depression so there are many parallels.
The 13 steps to riches are incredible and I still find it staggering that Napoleon Hill came up with this stuff of brilliance all those years ago.
Get yourself a copy and read it again and again.


This is a great book which explains that there really is no such thing as luck. We all make our own luck. It's a sort of scientific research piece based on interviewing loads of lucky and unlucky people to discover the difference. There are some great stories used as examples.
The good news is the unlucky people in life can improve their luck using 4 scientific principles of luck and these can significantly change your life.



This is not your stereotypical business book but don't pre-judge it. GOYA is incredible and it's packed full of brillaint tips, advice and guidance for small businesses.
Brad Burton is the founder of 4Networking; the UK's fastest growing business network with over 250 joined up groups across the UK.
Brad's style is easy to read and doesn't pull any punches. It's refreshing to have a business book which tells it to you straight.


I've been an advocate of Penny and Thomas Power for many years and I was so thrilled when Penny released this book. It is packed with a wealth of her's and Thomas' business experience gained from founding and running the world's first social network - Ecademy.
The book explains some of the different platforms but more importantly it goes into the how and the why it's so important to connect and get to know people and have conversations.
Penny is passionate about Social Media and calls it the Individual Revolution.
This is a beautifully produced book and one you feel like you want to take care of. It's a cloth bound hardback with lovely shiny pages and it's crammed packed full of sales wisdom.
The chapters are short and punchy with loads of great side notes and some brilliant quotes.
Each chapter is based on a principle and in each one there is a link back to Jeffrey's website where you can get all sorts of extra, valuable freebies.
All of us our sales people in one shape or another - this great book is like a sales person's bible. Grab your copy and take it with you everywhere!

I hope you too enjoy these as much as I have and I one quick declaration - the links to each book uses my Amazon affiliate code. I hope you don't mind. If you buy just a couple of them I'll get about 3p so thanks for assisting me in amassing my daughter's inheritance!

Please do comment and let me know what you thought of any of these books. Also, please do share any other business books you like that you recommend.

    10 comments:

    Bob Burg said...

    Dickie, thank you very much for including John David Mann's and my book amongst such other fine works. Very appreciated! - Bob

    Anonymous said...

    See, I like that I win because I signed your book and hung out. Those other books are SO amazing, and ours is so-so, but I like that we pull ahead a bit just for shaking hands. Wooo!!!!

    : )

    Teasing. Cheers and wishing you the very best, my friend.

    dickiearmour said...

    Bob,
    It's my pleasure - The Go Giver is truly an awesome book and something I love because I agree with every aspect of it.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post a comment on my blog. You made my day.

    dickiearmour said...

    Chris,
    I was blown away when I saw an email alerting me to the fact you had posted your comment! WOW!
    Talk about making someone feel special! Thanks my friend!

    Trust Agents is NOT so-so! I love your modesty!

    Thanks so much for taking time out of your hectic schedule to post on here.

    Anonymous said...

    Thanks for the mention Dickie. I must now go and resurect that blooging book worm blog!!!

    dickiearmour said...

    My pleasure Simon.

    :-)

    Michael E. Gerber said...

    Thank you Dickie for recommending Awakening the Entrepreneur Within! It is meant to spark your fire and fuel the dream - and ignite a lifetime of entrepreneurship. I am happy to share that I will personally be delivering the last Dreaming Room in December during the 5th Anniversary, before I hand over to the certified facilitators that are spreading the workshops globally. If I may extend the invitation - see this link for all the info: http://5thanniversarydreamingroom.eventbrite.com/
    Michael

    dickiearmour said...

    Michael,
    It is a pleasure to recommend your work. You've been an inspiration of mine since 2004 when I saw you speak in Leeds, UK.

    Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to post your comment. I'll continue to market your 5th Anniversary Dreaming Room.

    Thanks for making my year!! :-)

    Trey Pennington said...

    Great list Dickie. Cool to see the leadership you're providing for emerging companies and leaders in the UK.

    dickiearmour said...

    Thanks Trey!

    Post a Comment