Saturday 26 February 2011

Forget Will Power - You Need "Why" Power!

We all make the same mistake over and over again in life - we rely far too much on our will power to help us reach a goal or dream.

Think about it. People are trying to lose weight all over the world. The same people have tried umpteen times before and they have relied on their will power to help them achieve their weight loss goal.

A friend of mine has tried numerous diets and joined Weight Watchers and Slimming World and done loads of different exercise classes. Her last effort was joining a Reiki and Yogo session. She's tried everything and she always tells me how her will power will see her through. And yet she's still over weight and desperate to lose weight.

I've done the same myself and been the victim of my weak will power. I've wanted a six pack for years. I've been a member of a total of 10 different health clubs over the years and yet I've never managed to lose weight and get my six pack.

And that's because I was relying on my will power to see me through.

Instead we should be using our Why Power.

I realise this now. Darren Hardy talks about the Why Power in his brilliant audio CD series The Compound Effect.

We need a big enough reason why. We need to know why we want to do something and it needs to be absolutely clear and strong in your mind. We also need to make sure we are following our own reasons why and not someone else's. You know the sort - when your dad tells you you need to get a proper job, when your partner tells you your family needs stability and a proper job instead of working for yourself.

So think about what your goals and dreams are. Think really hard. Take some time out to think about why you want what you want. Is it what you REALLY want? And if it is; think about the reasons WHY you want it.

I'd always wanted my six pack but never really had a big enough why. I've always kept myself reasonably fit - I swam at school and played football and rugby. I played American Football for the Stock Exchange Stags when I worked in the City. I did triathlons to raise money for Cancer Research UK in memory of my dad, John Armour. I ran the Cardiff Half Marathon in October 2009. But none of this training ever got me close to getting my six pack. Because I didn't have a big enough WHY.

But now, thanks to Stuart Edmonstone, I've got my reason why. We've set up a website about our story and what we are aiming for - www.bradsbody.com
And it's not just one reason. It's a hatful of reasons!
  • I was 45 this month so this could be my last chance!
  • I WANT a body like Brad Pitt!
  • We've told everyone so we have to do it now!
  • I'm now doing public speaking and do 2 or 3 talks each month; I want to look good when stood in front of an audience.
  • I've always done lots of karting and the weight loss really helps with lap times! ;-)
  • I'm off on holiday in the summer and I can imagine rubbing in my suntan lotion into my flat stomach instead rolls of fat!
  • Stuart and I keep each other motivated - it's great having a buddy to keep you on track.
  • I've always wanted to be really fit and to look good - I've wanted it for years! And at last I can feel it's within my grasp!
  • I will feel so proud to have achieved this huge goal!
And not only do I now know I'm going to get my body like Brad Pitt; I'll have the 6 pack I've always wanted! And Stuart and I have an even bigger goal - we're raising £20,000 for Marys Meals! A charity that feeds impoverished children all over the world.

And once we've got our bodies - we want to meet Brad Pitt and pose in a photo with him on a beach. I can see it already. Me, Brad Pitt and Stuart, arms round each other, with our shirts open, smiling with our 6 packs on show!

(If you're reading this and you know Brad Pitt - please put us in touch with him!)

So don't just rely on your will power. You'll need it but you'll need a lot more besides. You'll need to know WHY you're doing it; WHY you want to do it and it really helps to visualise yourself already doing whatever it is.

Whatever it is you want to achieve; whether it's personal or something to do with your business - you need WHY power!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant article Dickie. I really have to sort out my Whypower!
Fran X

Chris Ogle said...

Hi Dickie,

Great article Dickie, it's always been in the 'Why' power not in the 'Will' power! Those people that appear to have amazing willpowers have managed to link it to a big enough Why.

The problem is that these people don't broadcast the Why, it is always disguised and we only see the Willpower part.

Once we have finished out 77 day detox programme, maybe Otis and I will give you guys a run for your money!!

dickiearmour said...

thanks Fran. Oh, you've got your Why power alright!
;-)

dickiearmour said...

Thanks Chris.
So true that so few people talk about the why power.
Good luck with the 77 day detox. How's it all going?

Post a Comment