Wednesday 2 June 2010

4Networking - My first 5 Months

I've never really done any serious sort of networking. I worked in the City in London for nearly 17 years and there was networking of sorts, but most of that happened in bars, clubs and restaurants with customers. The last 10 years I've been involved with the Internet which isn't always the most sociable place as we're all too busy sat in front of computer screens!
But I discovered 4Networking(4N) just over 5 months ago, in December 2010.

The video below will give you a snapshot of how it works:

Learn about 4Networking in 1 minute

I went to a couple of meetings and loved the people and the relaxed format so I joined on 23rd December 2009. And in 5 short months I've had a blast; I've got lots of new customers; made some great new friends and last month I became the Group Leader of Bristol Cribbs

The beauty of the 4N is that with a Passport membership you can go to any breakfast meeting anywhere in in the UK. As of 29th May 2010 there were 215 4N business breakfast groups. 

See the complete list on the Meetings page of the 4N website.

I personally go to most of the ones around Bristol and Somserset but I also link up with some of the other members and we arrange "Road Trips". 8 of us recently travelled to Hatfield, Hertfordshire and stayed over night and it was excellent. 

The power of the Road Trip is in how it helps to increase your profile and get your name and company out there. Read the buzz on the forum that was generated by the 8 of us travelling up to Hatfield!!


Mr Kim Hambley, Nick "Monster" Elston, Simon Bunker, Me, Olly Culverhouse, Tara Gillam

The format of every meeting is the same so it's great when you go to other groups because you know the agenda and so there are no surprises. I also love the fact that people who are in the same industry as each other can go along to the same group. It's always baffled me why other business networks limit a group to just one web designer and just one accountant etc. People from the same industry often pass work on to each other and will have different skill sets.

Also, and for me this is the real key behind any kind of networking whether online via Social Media websites or offline at face to face business networks - people do business with people they know, like and trust. If I was in one of those other networks where there was only one web design person and I didn't like them then I'm never going to do business with them nor pass business on to them.

As Group Leader of Bristol Cribbs it has really helped to raise my profile. I love the venue at Berwick Lodge; a new boutique style hotel in Bristol which is aiming for 5 star status! I'm proud to say we're the only 4N group with a red carpet to welcome our guests!



So if you run a business or you're someone responsible for business development in your company then I highly recommend 4N. You can come along to up to 3 meetings before you have to join so you can try the format to see if it suits you. I'll hazard a guess that you too will enjoy it; you'll make some wonderful new friends but as important you'll win lots of new customers too.

See you on the 4N circuit soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment