Sunday 28 February 2010

DRoA - Domain Name Scumbags - who's up for stopping them?!

OK, we've put up with the Domain Renewal Group for long enough. It's time for some action.

I wrote a post back in April 2009 - Domain Name Scam!

DRoA are still sending these letters out to thousands of Registrants (owners of domain names) and duping them into paying inflated renewal prices and attempting to get unsuspecting consumers to transfer their domain names to DRoA.

I sent a Tweet to Rod Beckstrom the CEO of ICAAN last week and he replied saying "Form a group to take them on if you wish!".

There MUST be something we can all do together to stop these letters being sent out by the Domain Renewal Group.

I am going to be contacting some of my peers within the ISP industry with a view to forming an action group. I will also be contacting the leaders within the domain name Registries.

Please post your comments here if you have suggestions and would like to get involved. This malpractice has gone on for far too long and MUST to be stopped!

In the meantime, please let everyone you know, know about this Scam so they don't become the next victim.

2 comments:

Chris Harding said...

What options are there to "take them on"?
Is what they're doing illegal as well as immoral?
I've had letters from this shower, I googled them and discovered the scam for what it was.
Others may not be so suspicious!

dickiearmour said...

I'm speaking to ICAAN to see what can be done and I am also talking to a couple of members of Parliament to see what can be done.
I'm not sure it's illegal as the letter is written rather craftily but as you say others may not be so suspicious.

Post a Comment